Wiimote connection to Windows 7 flaky

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I've been able to write a customizable version of Just Dance that I'm planning to use in a class to teach middle school students about various technology (XML, video editing, etc.) The problem is that my connection between my Wiimotes and Windows 7 have gotten progressively more flaky. I am trying now to be able to connect 2 Wiimotes, and I keep seeing a variety of symptoms while trying to connect, including:

• Devices and Printers claiming it has connected, but Wiimote lights are not flashing and the library does not see them. If I try to remove the device from Devices and Printers, the Remove option is disabled. If I do "Troubleshooting" it doesn't find a solution, but clears the device from the window.
  • The error "Adding this device to the computer failed". "Adding the device failed resulting in an unknown error. The reported error code is 0x80004005."
  • The Wiimote connects, and then disconnects a few minutes later. It is no longer visible to Devices and Printers when trying to re-add.

Could it be my Bluetooth dongle? If so, is there one that someone can recommend that works well with Windows 7? (Here's what I'm currently using: http://www.amazon.com/100m-Wireless-Bluetooth-Dongle-cellphone/dp/B000YPGF5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301087661&sr=8-1)

Thanks! Once I finish the dance game, I plan to post the code to CodePlex so others can use it.

Peter Gruenbaum

May 4, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I was able to answer my own question. Here is a list of devices that are known to work:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_Working_Bluetooth_Devices

Of these, I noticed that the Rocketfish Micro Bluetooth USB Adapter had the note: Will work on Windows 7 using built-in Windows 7 drivers. I bought it ($40 US), and it has worked beautifully.

Now I need to keep tweaking my dance scoring algorithms. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:47 AM
Edited Jul 7, 2011 at 6:50 AM

I have that exact adapter (did you also get it at Best Buy?).  Unfortunately, the borrowed Wiimote I am using with it has worked exactly once.  On that occasion, I was able to connect it as a Bluetooth device on Windows 7 (64-bit edition), and it managed to install its drivers correctly.  The WiimoteLib C# application worked beautifully.

Tonight, however, I am attempting to repeat that happy success, and failing.  I am able to connect the Wiimote again, but the WiimoteLib C# sample app complains of no Wiimotes in the HID device list.  Also, curiously, after the app runs, I hear the "Da-dunk!" sound of a disconnecting device, and then the Wiimote is no longer listed as a Bluetooth device.

This is all quite unfortunate.  pgruenbaum, are you using 32-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit?

...Edit: And of course I try one more time after writing, and this time it works.  There is some subtlety to the pairing process that I'm not yet understanding.  Still, yay!

Cheers,

Rob

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Glad you got it working. For what it's worth, I'm on 32 bit. The Rocketfish adapter has worked consistently well for me, even handling two Wiimotes at once.

Peter