Device Address and Device Name

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:17 PM

This is me again and I am managed to have your API as well as 32Feet API to use in my app. Now my questions is fairly simple. There is a class Wiimote in your API which returns Wiimote specific data but how does that return Address of the device as well as Device name?

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:11 PM

It doesn't and can't.  WiimoteLib communicates at the HID level, but the MAC address and other Bluetooth-specific information is only available at the Bluetooth level.  And this is where the stack issues come into play.  Each stack has its own API and they are not compatible.  That's why we talk at the HID level which is compatible across stacks and operating systems.  You would have to implement the Bluetooth functionality yourself with whatever stack you're using to get that data.

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM

You are right and I am using 32Feet Library for Bluetooth stuff. Although I can discover devices via 32Feet library but in the end I have to call FindAllWimotes() function of your API to work with Wiimote easily. Let's say I have two wiimotes connected and installed using 32Feet API and get these Wiimote's reference using FindAllWiimotes() function but how to know which object of Wiimote (object from your API) map to object BluetoothDeviceInfo (object from 32Feet API)?

If there will be some Device Address (MAC) or other unique thing that both objects persist then I can link them otherwise no clue.

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:43 PM

There is an ID property on the Wiimote class, but it's a meaningless GUID just meant to distinguish between devices. 

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:20 PM

True, but can you provide something that is unique to the wiimote like device address? This is achievable no doubt. Also what about HIDDevicePath, is that something unique? I need to double check if 32Feet API provides that too.

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:23 PM

You could add HIDDevicePath as a property, but each Bluetooth stack uses and creates this path differently and the format is not compatible across stacks.  If by "device address" you mean the MAC, it's not possible at the HID level.

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I found this

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:15 AM

That's for a network card, not a bluetooth device.  It's not applicable.