Wiimote connection to Windows 7 flaky

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I've been able to write a customizable version of Just Dance that I'm planning to use in a class to teach middle school students about various technology (XML, video editing, etc.) The problem is that my connection between my Wiimotes and Windows 7 have gotten progressively more flaky. I am trying now to be able to connect 2 Wiimotes, and I keep seeing a variety of symptoms while trying to connect, including:

• Devices and Printers claiming it has connected, but Wiimote lights are not flashing and the library does not see them. If I try to remove the device from Devices and Printers, the Remove option is disabled. If I do "Troubleshooting" it doesn't find a solution, but clears the device from the window.
  • The error "Adding this device to the computer failed". "Adding the device failed resulting in an unknown error. The reported error code is 0x80004005."
  • The Wiimote connects, and then disconnects a few minutes later. It is no longer visible to Devices and Printers when trying to re-add.

Could it be my Bluetooth dongle? If so, is there one that someone can recommend that works well with Windows 7? (Here's what I'm currently using: http://www.amazon.com/100m-Wireless-Bluetooth-Dongle-cellphone/dp/B000YPGF5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301087661&sr=8-1)

Thanks! Once I finish the dance game, I plan to post the code to CodePlex so others can use it.

Peter Gruenbaum

May 4, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I was able to answer my own question. Here is a list of devices that are known to work:

Of these, I noticed that the Rocketfish Micro Bluetooth USB Adapter had the note: Will work on Windows 7 using built-in Windows 7 drivers. I bought it ($40 US), and it has worked beautifully.

Now I need to keep tweaking my dance scoring algorithms. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:47 AM
Edited Jul 7, 2011 at 5:50 AM

I have that exact adapter (did you also get it at Best Buy?).  Unfortunately, the borrowed Wiimote I am using with it has worked exactly once.  On that occasion, I was able to connect it as a Bluetooth device on Windows 7 (64-bit edition), and it managed to install its drivers correctly.  The WiimoteLib C# application worked beautifully.

Tonight, however, I am attempting to repeat that happy success, and failing.  I am able to connect the Wiimote again, but the WiimoteLib C# sample app complains of no Wiimotes in the HID device list.  Also, curiously, after the app runs, I hear the "Da-dunk!" sound of a disconnecting device, and then the Wiimote is no longer listed as a Bluetooth device.

This is all quite unfortunate.  pgruenbaum, are you using 32-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit?

...Edit: And of course I try one more time after writing, and this time it works.  There is some subtlety to the pairing process that I'm not yet understanding.  Still, yay!

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Glad you got it working. For what it's worth, I'm on 32 bit. The Rocketfish adapter has worked consistently well for me, even handling two Wiimotes at once.