Wiimote and Mouse

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I am Umair and I am here to ask a very basic question related to Wiimote and the library I am going to use to achieve a task. I am in charge to turn Wiimote into computer mouse and I know this is possible. I am told to use your library. But I need to know whether this is just Wiimote I need to buy or some other bluetooth/infrared device/sensor to attach it with the computer completely wireless? Ca you lean me towards the starting point please?

I would appreciate your help.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM

In addition to a Wiimote, you will need a Bluetooth device on your PC to pair the Wiimote to.

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Yes I have my bluetooth enabled laptop but can you tell me how that handles movement. I mean how can I get to know in which position the Wiimote is moving and to move the mouse cursor in computer accordingly.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:39 AM

Hey umrashrf,

I actually did this a while ago but the project was abandoned before completion due to difficulties with the wiimote connecting and disconnecting.

The wiimote will never go turn off unless you disconnect it through your bluetooth drivers and will therefore drain the battery reasonably quickly. 

The other problem is that connecting to the PC requires interaction through the bluetooth driver. 

They aren't big issues but they were enough to make me not want to use it for my application (media player) and therefore if I didnt want it, nobody else did.

Let me know if I can help. 

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Hi, you mean I can't use this API. This API is meant for interfacing Wiimote with the computer and if I connect it using bluetooth that should work. I don't think you are right. If you really think bluetooth sucks then is there any other way around you would like to suggest to get it connected? - Umair

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:48 AM

No, the library does not handle the bluetooth connection. The wiimote connects as a HID (human interface device) to windows and that connection is handled by your bluetooth drivers or by windows depending on your setup. This library is a wrapper for the HID to make writing your program easier. 

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:16 PM
You may want a sensor bar if you plan to use the IR camera.
Aug 30, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Hi there,

I am back and I got my Wiimote connected with my bluetooth enabled laptop. The wiimote is working as I tested it with a software called Smoothboard (the same software I am in charge to build). It mean now I can use your API. right?

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Yes, you should be set to go!

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Ok I got it connected now. I connect it in two steps.

1. I added wiimotes into Bluetooth Devices in Windows 7.

2. I called, FindAllWiimotes.

And I got the list of connected devices. Now my question is why I am supposed to add the Wiimotes in Device List myself and why not my application will do itself? So I googled for an API for Bluetooth interfacing and I got to know about 32Feet which is pretty awesome but it doesn't connect the the Wiimote I noticed. So, do you guys have any API similar to 32Feet that will allow me to...

1. Discover Bluetooth Devices Nearby

2. If there are Wiimotes, allow me to install drivers for them.

3. Allow me to add/pair them to Device list.

A help would be appreciated.

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:57 PM

The Wiimote itself does not support proper bluetooth pairing.  That's part of what makes it a not 100% compatible Bluetooth device.  There are couple of apps and hacks that will use 32Feet and other libraries to scan for Wiimotes and attach them, but they only work with specific Bluetooth stacks and drivers which is why I haven't implemented anything resembling that in this library.

Sep 4, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Yes I know this already. I can use any other API for pairing. It is not that you must implement it in your own API for now. So are you aware of any API that can help me to pair?

Sep 4, 2010 at 8:20 PM

What Bluetooth stack are you using?

Sep 4, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I am using my Laptops built-in bluetooth and that must be Windows Stack. no?