Using the project on an XP VM in OS X?

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:04 PM

I'm wondering if there has been any testing into running the project within a Windows XP virtual machine on OS X (Leopard)?  Currently, my only bluetooth compatible machine is an Apple computer and I figured this was worth trying.  Running the demo .exe instantly gives the pop-up error "Unknown error System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission".  I'm wondering if this has to do with any security features of an OS being encapsulated in a VM. 

Have there been experiments to confirm whether the project will still work under these conditions or not?

Coordinator
Jul 3, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I haven’t tried it in this way so I’m not sure.  Can you run the source and see where the exception is occurring?

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM

For sure.  I have paired up the Wiimote with a separate, USB dongle bluetooth device now and am still getting the same exception.

Basically, the device is set up from a bluetooth perspective, but we are getting an error when FindAllWiimotes() is called within MultipleWiimoteForm.cs.  This is simply in the Form_Load function.  The exception is actually the "general" exception, not the WiimoteException or WiimoteNotFoundExpection.

 

Looking through the debugger isn't telling me a whole much, but this could be because I don't know the codebase well, yet.  For the execption variable (ex), both the Keys and Values parameters have a count of 0 (this is for its Data parameter).  Source of WiimoteLib.  TargetSite of {Void FindWiimote(WiimoteFoundDelegate)}.  _COMPlusExceptionCode of -532459699.  mWC and mWiimoteMap both have Count as 0.  I'm not sure how useful some of these are, but I figure the more info, the easier to debug. 

 

Something I've noticed.  Although it is skipping to the general exception, and not the WiimoteNotFoundException, it skips to this exception both when a Wiimote is present and when none are present.  I'm not sure if this exception gets caught correctly in the first place.  Noticing that mWC has a count of 0, there might be an issue there.  Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

 

Coordinator
Jul 3, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Where are you running the code from?  What location/directory on the XP machine?  One other thing to try:  right-click on the EXE and DLL and see if there’s an “Unlock” button on the property sheet.  If so, click it.

From: chriswhiten [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2010 3:41 PM
To: Brian Peek
Subject: Re: Using the project on an XP VM in OS X? [WiimoteLib:218072]

From: chriswhiten

For sure. I have paired up the Wiimote with a separate, USB dongle bluetooth device now and am still getting the same exception.

Basically, the device is set up from a bluetooth perspective, but we are getting an error when FindAllWiimotes() is called within MultipleWiimoteForm.cs. This is simply in the Form_Load function. The exception is actually the "general" exception, not the WiimoteException or WiimoteNotFoundExpection.

Looking through the debugger isn't telling me a whole much, but this could be because I don't know the codebase well, yet. For the execption variable (ex), both the Keys and Values parameters have a count of 0 (this is for its Data parameter). Source of WiimoteLib. TargetSite of {Void FindWiimote(WiimoteFoundDelegate)}. _COMPlusExceptionCode of -532459699. mWC and mWiimoteMap both have Count as 0. I'm not sure how useful some of these are, but I figure the more info, the easier to debug.

Something I've noticed. Although it is skipping to the general exception, and not the WiimoteNotFoundException, it skips to this exception both when a Wiimote is present and when none are present. I'm not sure if this exception gets caught correctly in the first place. Noticing that mWC has a count of 0, there might be an issue there. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (WiimoteLib@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email WiimoteLib@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:49 AM
Alright, so the issue is that the folder was one of vmware's shared folders. It was simply the "My Documents" folder. I have moved it to the C:/ drive and now I get the WiimoteNotFoundException, which is weird since the Wiimote is definitely recognized and connected, but at least it's not the same error as before.
Coordinator
Jul 4, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Only suggestion there is to delete and re-pair the device.  If that doesn’t work, it could be an issue with the virtual machine layer.  I don’t really have any information beyond that…

Brian

From: ChrisWhiten [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2010 11:49 PM
To: Brian Peek
Subject: Re: Using the project on an XP VM in OS X? [WiimoteLib:218072]

From: ChrisWhiten

Alright, so the issue is that the folder was one of vmware's shared folders. It was simply the "My Documents" folder. I have moved it to the C:/ drive and now I get the WiimoteNotFoundException, which is weird since the Wiimote is definitely recognized and connected, but at least it's not the same error as before.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (WiimoteLib@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email WiimoteLib@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com